Friday, September 26, 2008

Dangerous Things you want your Employees to do… and often

I've been thinking lately what makes our organization a cut above the rest in our corporation. Perhaps the little liberties I encourage my team to take foster and help maintain a culture of sustained productivity? Here's a list of presumably dangerous things I encourage my employees to do:



· Screw up - Try new things; learn from mistakes often and fast!


· Talk to strangers (and accept rides and lunch) - Get out there.


· Screw off - Enjoy unstructured play – it’s where ideas happen.


· Be wasteful - Buy a new tech toy and experiment.


· Play with knives - Hone skills to deal with prickly issues


· Talk to your boss with out you there - Let them handle some big issues and build their reputation and yours.


· Get lost - Explore new territory.


· Play with power tools - Try new tools to build bigger, better things; don’t be afraid – wounds will heal.


· Do NOT do their job - Expand their role and contributions.


· Be a pain in the @#!- Question things


· Piss someone off - Maintain integrity and respectfully disagree.


· Ignore the rules - Rules are good. We all like rules.
But, direction should be guided by vision and focus.


· Speed! - Be responsive. Be first.


· Play with fire - Spark and fan hot ideas!


· Jump off a Cliff - Take a big risk. Go for it!

Sure, there's risks, and chances I'll get burned. But, I'm experiencing far more benefits than draw backs. I wonder what others may have experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment